Indigo - CBC Tag 2

This post is part of the Chennai Bloggers Club's CBC VIBGYOR BLOG TAG 2 where some of us will write a post on the colours of VIBGYOR each day starting 1st of May to the 7th of May, 2020.
The colour theme for today's post is INDIGO.


If you have read my first post yesterday you will know that I have an uneasy relationship with colours and I keep it very simple when it comes to colours. So when the colour Indigo came up the first thing that struck me was a story that we read in school in probably the Non detail text. The story is the Postmaster, those who can make the connect, no matter how insignificant it may sound to you, congratulations to you.

This classic by Rabindranath Tagore, (read it if you haven’t already or cannot remember it) talks about an Indigo factory. Somehow this stuck to my head till today, as I was looking up the colour Indigo, Wiki tells me it is a dye that comes from a plant that has been cultivated from ancient times. India has a long connection with the Indigo plant and I wonder if the name is thus linked. Natural dyes were highly prized for many years till synthetic ones replaced them for various reasons.



My next memory of Indigo comes from a clothing label that I used to frequent called indigo Nation. Till it was sold out to the Future Group, this brand used to have good readymade clothes for men and they were priced in the mid-market range and so they were affordable enough for the occasional shopper like me. I wonder if this brand is still existing today in the Future Group universe as I do not recall seeing any stand-alone stores today.


Today if anyone tells me Indigo then I would be thinking of this only,





Since they stormed into the popular imagination of everyone as a brash upstart by ordering 100 aeroplanes in a single order before the start of their business this airline has become the market leader of air travel in India. From a no frills, bare minimum airline that was initially looked down by the full service airlines at that time, they redefined air travel for Indians in a far greater scale than the original low cost airline Deccan Airlines could do. I fly Indigo regularly for work and our last family trip was also on Indigo. It is not only the prices that aid this decision but also their timings and the services which are fairly reliable. They are sexist as their cabin crew does not have men, Go Air has gone on record that they will have women as they are lighter : ) and it saves cost but I do not recollect Indigo stating this in public. In the current scenario flying Indigo again looks like a distant possibility and the biggest competitor for Indigo Airlines in the days ahead is the Zoom app.

I did not expect Indigo to bring so many memories, waiting to see what Blue will bring.
Cheers.

All images are courtesy Google Images and belong to the respective owners.



Comments

  1. I always remember Indigo as the reason British came to India and that spiraled off our bondage . . . I'm yet to write my post and enjoyed reading this assortment of snippets for Indigo!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now don't remind me of Blue . . . getting a post ready for Indigo was exasperating enough but I did like your trajectory of thought on Indigo.
    I have mentioned the Airline too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indigo strikes a chord with airlines always! :) Good post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your take on this?

Popular posts from this blog

Bad donkey, small wall.

Po poi velaya paaru...

Battle of the movies - Annaathe Vs Jailer