Madras you have my heart


 

I prefer the window seat in flights because I like to watch the sights during the take off and landing each time. Every time I fly into Meenambakkam there is a special feeling that never fails. The feeling of coming home; to a city that has my heart. Madras, how I love you and get exasperated with you in the same moment.

I am sure that I am not alone with this feeling and after two decades or so of being Chennai I miss the Madras of old. Change is constant and the city has changed, some of the famous gems of the past have been obliterated completely like the Moore Market while some struggle on in changed or limited avatars like Spencers Plaza and some have transformed into unrecognizable creations like the OMR.

When I have visitors on work and if it is a first time I ask them if they have any interests in their free time and when they hear the options that I throw at them they are amazed. From shopping, to food, to cultural experiences, spiritual experiences, nature spots and more. The city offers all these are more, whatever you may want it is possible that you will find it here;

  • ·       A fire temple? Yes. (the fire has been burning for over 100 years now)
  • ·       An artist commune? Yes. (probably the largest running one in the country)
  • ·       Archeological sites? Yes (Heard of Mahabalipuram its the most popular of many other sites, in fact you may find historical artefacts when you dig to build a foundation in certain parts of Chennai which are notified by ASI),
  • ·       Turtle hatching site? Yes (after Orissa it may the next biggest Olive Ridley turtle hatching site)
  • ·       World class hospitals? Yes (how many would you need?)
  • ·       Hobby fishing sites? Yes (you want sea or river or lake)
  • ·       Race track for bike or car dare devilry? Yes (will one be enough?)
  • ·       Restaurants? Yes (From local to global to gloacal, take your pick)
  • ·       Music? Yes (from gaana, to villupaatu, folk, kuthu paatu, Carnatic, western classical, fusion the options are mind blowing)
  • ·       Movies? Yes (one of the largest movie industries of the country and quite professional too drawing talent from elsewhere and the theatre tickets are cheaper than many cities in the country)

 I could go on but then you need to be here to soak in it all and understand why this city has my heart.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bad donkey, small wall.

Po poi velaya paaru...

Battle of the movies - Annaathe Vs Jailer