Ad breaks can be very painful especially when you are watching something really interesting on the idiot box. Mercifully the IPL restricts these breaks enough for maybe a quick dash to the loo and back before the next over is bowled.
Two ads of late make me laugh or cringe every time they come on.
Ad No1: "Opportunities never sleep; the world never sleeps ... That's why we work around the clock, to turn dreams into reality. That is why Citi never sleeps," says a voiceover.
You may have seen the ad so I will spare you clipping. The bottom line is Citi never sleeps and guess what happens?
- A mind blowing $10 billion loss
- 20,000 job cuts
- A CEO called Prince being given the boot
- In India 140 branches of their NBFC are being closed
- An Indian, Vikram Pandit is now trying to salvage the remains of the day (since they have no nights)
- All employees now don’t sleep either as they are racked by nightmares of layoffs of paycuts.
Bottom line: Sometimes it pays to heed conventional wisdom, have these wizkids never heard their grandmas tell them “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man, healthy, wealthy and wise”. Change your ad guys, you need a break.
Ad No 2: “Sanjoo, Sanjoo….” The very sound of this name makes me retch before I switch channels to save myself from one of the most brainless and insensitive ads made.
Bottom line: Wives, get insured, then you don’t have to worry if your husband kicks the bucket.
I work in an insurance firm and I really wonder if this is the best way to sell insurance?
Chriz your views please, as you are the resident expert on this.